Thursday, December 6, 2007

Nahar

Before
(I had to control myself from devouring this immediately without documenting it)
After
(note the Teh Tarik lurking in the top right corner)
Dessert
(Assorted kuehs)
A friend brought me to this place last week near Paddington station, apparently an institution among Malaysian students here in London (he was formerly one). After experiencing it for myself first hand, I fully understand why. It's tucked away in the lower ground floor of a non-descript building that almost feels like a secret club given how little indication from the outside there is of this wonderful establishment. They actually do have a menu on street level, but given that you have to look down to see the door (and that it's a white piece of paper on a white background), most people probably just walk past without even noticing it's there save for the amazing aromas that seem to mysteriously appear.

Stepping inside was like defying the space time continuum. I honestly felt like I was transported back home into a nice homely Malay style canteen inclusive of metal serving counter with trays of assorted dishes for you to choose with your rice. It's extremely reasonably priced given how much you usually have to pay for a quality meal here in London. They have a pretty extensive menu (you name it, they probably have it) but my hunger dictated that I would have to go for the Nasi Campur option if I didn't want to faint before the food arrived.

I was amazed that they had those nice tacky "fake banana leaf" plates on which to serve the food. It just added to the experience. I chose 3 meats (fried chicken, lamb curry, sotong) and a veg along with a teh tarik. The teh wasn't quite as frothy as I had hoped but the rest of the meal was so amazing I won't hold that against them. I polished all of that off in record time. Really good stuff.

For dessert, we ordered some kuehs. Haven't had these in such a long time that I can't quite remember what the names are. All I know is that the coconut filling in the green one was delicious. Usually dessert tends to finish off the meal. This dessert made me hungry for even more! Needless to say, I'll be back again. This place is a keeper.

No comments: