Sunday, April 22, 2007

German Food Truck, Portobello Road Market

Boneless Leg of Chicken
Schnitzel

Background: While studying in London in the Spring of 2004, I look myself our for a walk for the first time to Portobello Road Market. It was a typical winter day in London. Cold and grey (thankfully not wet). I had forgotten my gloves that day and as a result of taking pictures, my hands were freezing and I was getting really hungry. Now anyone who has been to this market will know that if you approach from the Notting Hill Gate side, the first stretch is all antique shops and almost no cafes or food shops exist (nothing particularly tempting at least). I was beginning to regret my decision to come out to the market on this cold day when all of a sudden... I smelt something wonderful and warm in the air. The smell of sausages, grilled meat and sauteed onions. I let my nose (and mr tummy) lead the way to the source of this wonderful aroma and true enough there was my pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. I've been coming back ever since. =)

The Food: I'm a big fan of the boneless leg of chicken because it was the first thing that I ever bought from them that cold first day and the fact that it's extremely juicy and savoury and hits the spot ANY day, regardless of weather. It's grilled to perfection so that the skin is slighty crispy and charred while the meat inside remains tender and flavourful. They probably rub it down with some salt, herbs and spices before cooking it and that's what gives it that wonderful aroma. For £2, it's an amazing deal.

In an attempt to try something different for once, I ordered the Schnitzel as well (in my defense, I did a lot of walking and it was on my way back!) In this case, it's essentially a breaded chicken cutlet. Similar to the boneless leg of chicken I guess except that this is fried instead of grilled. Good batter. Nice crust. A bit drier than the grilled version by just as tasty. This version's slightly more expensive at £3 but still overall a good deal.

I think they are stall 50 something on Portobello Road. Near the HSBC.

Oh... and the market's pretty special too. =)

1 comment:

Des said...

I agree, the boneless Chicken leg sandwich is one of those things that you visit the market for.
Does anyone have any idea what they marinate it in?
And Portobello has to be the best market in London, by a long way.